Sunday 20 December 2009

Thai desserts

Thai desserts


Thai dessert is a kind of sweet that was made in the kingdom of Thailand. Its identities are delicacy to select raw materials, methods, delicious taste and colorful appearance.


History


Thai people would make the dessert only in a special occasion such as religious ceremony, special festival or welcoming important guest because it takes many people to help and and takes long time to prepare. Most of Thai desserts which people make commonly are traditional like local sweets which are different from the sweets in royal residence that must be very glamorous. Thai people always name the dessert by thinking of the good meaning such as


Jah Mong Kood (Eggs yolks Dumpling in Wheat Flour Crown)


This name means to be the leader, it's often used for congratulations to someone who got advancement.



Tuay Foo (Fluffy cake)


This name means to flourish.




Thong Yhip (Golden droplets)


This name means to be rich.



Khanom Chan (Layer cake)




This name was given because it's often made in layer shape but in present we adapt it to be in various form. Khanom Chan means the progression.

Influence from foreign country

Some of Thai desserts are adapt from exchanging culture with other countries. Particularly the dessert which was made of eggs. This kind of sweet came to Thailand in the time of King Narai the Great by Madame Thao Thong Keep Mah, the Portuguese wife of Phraya Witchayen, the consul who were in charge of consulate in Thailand at that time. Most of desserts were taugth to the Thai by her were made of eggs such as Thong* Yhip, Thong Yhod (golden drops), Phoi Thong (golden fibre), etc.


*Thong means gold, the color of egg is like gold


Preparing Thai desserts

To make Thai desserts, we need may things to concentrate such as to love to do, to be patient and to have punctiliousness to design beautiful appearance ans tasty sweets. Delicious and good-looking dessert asks for practicing frequently and long experiences. Ancestors would make Thai sweets by estimating ingredients and there weren't any certain formula. But nowadays, Thai desserts add up to international dessert as we have definite formula and clear procedure.

Main ingredients to make Thai dessert are





  • Sugar (caster/brown sugar, palm sugar or syrup)

  • Flour (rice flour, glutinous rice flour, cassava starch, corn starch, mung bean starch, arrowroot starch and wheat flour)
  • Coconut milk
  • Baking powder (In case of we make fluffy cake or fluffy sugarpalm cake)
  • Fragrance (Pandanus leaf and Jasmine fragrance are the most popular)
  • Salt
  • Food color
  • Eggs



Thai desserts we would recommend you to cook are :


Khanom Chan (Layer cake)




Ingredients :


  • plain flour 2 cups
  • rice flour 2 cups
  • tapioca flour 2 cups
  • coconut milk 6 cups
  • 15 pandanus leaves
  • jasmine essence water 5 cups

How to cook :


  1. To make jasmine essence water, soak the jasmines in the water in a bowl overnight by close the cover.
  2. To make green color, slice the pandanus leaves then pound and blend with 1 cup of jasmine essence water. After that remove its chips.
  3. Heat the jasmine essence water and coconut milk in a pot, stir frequently until cooked. Leave it warm then pour into a big bowl.
  4. Put all kinds of flour into a bowl and knead well. Set aside.
  5. Boil sugar and jasmine essence water, simmer until the syrup becomes thick.
  6. Separate the flour into two bowls. Mix the geen coloring with the first part of flour so,one part is green anothor is white with coconot milk.
  7. Pour white flour into a tray to make the first thin layer and steam. Remove from the steamer.
  8. Pour green flour into a tray to make the second thin layer and steam. Remove from the steamer.
  9. Repeat 6 and 7 again and again until fine. The last layer should be green.
  10. Leave it cool. Cut into pieces to serve.



Kluay Buat Chi (Banana in coconut milk)





Ingredients :


  • bananas 10 ripes
  • coconut cream 1/2 cup
  • coconut milk 3 cups
  • sugar 1 cup
  • salt 1 teaspoon

How to cook :


  1. Peel the bananas, cut each in half lengthwise then cut across to get 4 pieces. Do like this with all 10 ripes
  2. Pour coconut milk into a pot and cook over medium heat until it boils.
  3. Add the bananas, and cook until soft then add sugar and salt.
  4. After sugar has completely dissolved, pour in the coconut cream, then remove from the heat.
  5. Serve warm bananas in a dessert bowl.

Even though there are influences from foreign sweets, some of still Thai desserts are coloring the local life style. We could say 'Thai dessert never died' as long as we live in Thailand with Thai beautiful culture.






Kanchanok Sompakdee

Sompop Detpae

Khon Kaen University

20 comments:

  1. I love desserts,too.
    Thai desserts look like delicious.
    Its color is beautiful.
    Do you know Japanese sweet?
    Japanese cakes “Wagashi” are know for traditional Japanese sweet.
    I want to cook Kluay Buat Chi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these desserts are look like very beautiful! Also in Japan, traditional dessert is called "wagashi" and beautiful too. However, I hope to eat and make these desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thai desserts look very delicious!
    I want to eat once.
    I haven't know that Thai desserts have good meaning. It's very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your blog.
    I am interested in Thai desserts.
    It looks like delicious!!
    I'd like to eat Kluay Buat Chi the most.
    you taught me how to cook, so I'd like to cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!!
    I enjoy reading this blog.
    Thai desserts look like very beautiful and delicious.
    Especially,I want to eat Thong Yhip.
    It'S very very cute!
    I want to cook Kluay Buat Chi too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your blog's picture are colarful and beautiful.

    These sweets look like very delicious! delicious.Especially, last picture:Kluay Buat Chi is I want to cook. I like coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thai desserts are good-looking, and they all look so delicious.
    I've never eaten them, so I am grateful to you
    for show me how to cook .
    I want to cook Kluay Buat Chi at no distant date.

    Thank you so much for your imformation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to meet you.
    I enjoyed reading your blog.
    It is interesting that dessertes has means and all they looks like very delicious.
    I want to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like japanese desserts so I was intersted in Thai desserts. I want to know more Thai's information!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thai desserts are so beautiful!
    I want to eat them.
    I hear by my father that Thai foods are delicious.
    Someday, I want to visit Thailand.
    I'll enjoy Thai dessert then.
    Thank you!(^0^)/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thai dessert's looks is very fun! They are colorful and cute.
    And these name's means are very intersting!
    I'm interested in Jah Mong Kood.It looks like cute!I want to eat it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm interested in Thai desserts. Thai desserts are very vivid and cute. I like desserts, so I eat desserts when I travel various place. I want to visit Thai, and try to eat Thai desserts. If you come to Japan, please eat japanese desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ryosuke Sakaguchi7 January 2010 at 17:28

    These desserts look very delicious!
    I want to eat them!
    In Japan, young women especially like desserts.
    How about Thai people?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like desserts and thai's desserts look like very delicious!
    I want to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't like sweet food.But Khanom Chan looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so that you like and interest in thai desserts. It's very delicious ,TRY IT!!

    Ryuto , maybe Khanom Chan is good for you because it's too sweet.

    Sompop Dechpae

    ReplyDelete
  17. ^
    ^
    Sorry for mistake. Khanom Chan isn't too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thai's desserts look very cute!!
    I want to eat Jah Mong Kood.
    I love sweets very much:)
    Also I want to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. All of dessers look like very delicious and cute.
    Especially, I want to eat Tuay Foo.
    Also, I try to cook Kluay Buat Chi because all the ingredients are sold in Japan.

    Thank you for your essay.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for all of your interests.

    If you guys'd like to know more info, you can search on google and there'll be more kinds of sweets.

    And for the one who'd like to cook, hope you'll enjoy its taste ^^.

    Recommended links >>

    http://www.robertochicco.com/international/ann/thai_desserts_eng.htm

    and

    http://asiarecipe.com/thaidesserts.html

    Nice to meet you all!!

    Kanchanok

    Sompakdee_5@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete